Sunday, January 31, 2010

Weeks 3 & 4: Review

Didn't get around to posting an update last week, and when I eventually got around to it I figured it was better to just hold off and two both weeks in one article. Either way, week 3 went quite well and I was rebuilding back toward my normal mileage - culminating with an 8 miler on Sunday. Unfortunately, when I was getting ready to go to the pool on Monday morning I yawned and something popped back out of place in my back again. It wasn't nearly as bad as the issue the week before, but it did mean that I had to take more time off and am now just starting to get back into it.

Additionally, the plan was to bring the bike in to get the aerobars and computer installed this Tuesday. As the aerobars need a fitting, however, I figured that it was best to put that off as doing that with an injured back would likely be difficult. Since I need to get my rear tube replaced, however, that also meant that I can't really use the bike until I make that trip. I'm hoping to get it down there early this week, so hopefully I'll be able to restart my cycling and speed up my recovery (while the bike stretches out the back, there is much less impact than running).

Week 3 Totals:
Running: 46.8km (29.1mi)
Walking: 5.1km (3.2mi)
Cycling: 0.0km (0.0mi)
Swimming: 7.1km (4.4mi)
Total: 59.0km (36.7mi)

Week 4 Totals:
Running: 12.8km (8.0mi)
Walking: 7.4km (4.6mi)
Cycling: 0.0km (0.0mi)
Swimming: 0.0km (0.0mi)
Total: 20.2km (12.6mi)

Year to Date:
Running: 130.8km (81.3mi)
Walking: 17.4km (10.8mi)
Cycling: 0.0km (0.0mi)
Swimming: 15.7km (9.8mi)
Total: 163.9km (101.8mi)

Going forward, I'm going to have to be easy on things this week to ensure the back doesn't get re-injured again and throw me off. I need to start doing some core exercises to prevent this in the future, but I also don't want to push those muscles too hard until they are recovered so it's a bit of a balancing act at this point. I've got to get back to battle condition in two weeks if I want to use the 12 week program for Mississauga, but if that's not possible than I'll simply have to skip the Marathon this year and focus on Triathlon.

As for a plan, I'm likely going to have to wing it this week as it's going to depend a lot on how things feel. I'll probably do at least one more 4 miler before stepping back up to 6, and will likely hold off on going much longer than that until the following week to be safe. Naturally, only time will tell ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment