The ankle really hasn't improved much over the last few days, so I went ahead and got an appointment with my doctor on Wednesday to see what I can do to accelerate it's progress. There isn't any visible swelling, and while it is uncomfortable I can walk on it unassisted so I don't think it is anything too serious. Either way, it's taking a lot longer to heal than my previous injuries so I figure it's wise to make sure that it isn't a bigger problem than it seems.
It has now been a full week since the initial injury, and I'm still not in a position to restart my exercise. Aside from not moving forward, being off for much longer means that I'm going to start sliding backward in my fitness. If I can't get back up and running within the next week or so, I'm going to have to seriously consider the possibility of aborting my second marathon attempt as getting back up to speed is going to be difficult. Swimming did go well last week, and it may be a way to offset losses in the meantime, however I'm thinking it may be wise to hold off on that until I get the okay from the doctor.
Trying to figure out what to do at this juncture is a little difficult. This is my first injury that didn't sort itself out within a few days, so I don't have a lot of experience in navigating the medical system with a sports injury. One of the talks we had during our clinics advised against going to a GP about this sort of thing as they can be over conservative about treatment, however I don't really know any sports-specific doctors at this point so I don't have much choice. There is a place in Maple that a lot of the others from the Running Room go to for stuff like this, however they don't have any MDs, and I'm not sure that physiotherapists are really equipped to make an initial diagnosis.