Saturday, January 3, 2009

Week 1: Review

With the holidays rolling down, I was able to get in most of the sessions that were planned so my mileage is back up. The weather this week was a bit unpredictable, and snowcover did slow down a few of my runs, but overall it wasn't too bad. It is obvious that I'm going to need to get some form of ice cleats to deal with the tempo runs during the winter, however, as it has been getting more and more difficult to maintain speed on nasty winter days.

Weekly Totals:
Running: 60km (37.3mi)
Walking: 34km (21.1mi)
Cycling: 125km (77.7mi)
Total: 219km (136.1mi)

I'll be formally starting my training program this week, so my schedule will drop back a little this week (from 37mi to 32mi). Starting on Monday, I will be using the 18 week 55 mile Pfitzinger marathon plan targeting the Mississauga Marathon on May 10th. As this program uses a Monday-Sunday week rather than the Sunday-Saturday scheme I've been using here, I'll be posting a separate review of my long run tomorrow and then begin doing weekly reports with the new weekly structure next Sunday.

The other tricky part with this plan is that it uses imperial measures instead of metric, so I'll have to figure out how to handle that. In the short term, I'll likely stick with metric units and simply create programmed exercises for my Polar with the units manually converted. Longer term, however, I'll have to work on getting myself familiar with imperial measurements when running (ie getting a feel for min/mi vs. min/km).

Upcoming Week:
Sun 21.1K LSD
Mon 50K Cycle
Tue 7mi (11.25K) w/10x100m
Wed (AM/PM) 30K Cycle
Thurs 9mi (14.5K) Steady
Fri 50K Cycle
Sat 4mi (6.5K) Recovery
Sun 12mi (19.25K) LSD

Either way, I'll begin increasing mileage on a weekly basis very soon and will be exploring new ground over the next little while. Up to this point, the longest run that I've ever done has been about 1h48m (21.1km) and over the coming weeks I will be going well beyond that limit. Hopefully my work over the last couple of months has built up a good base to prepare me for this task ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment