Friday, September 18, 2009

Checklists

Just working out the details for tomorrow and figured I'd make up a few checklists to make sure I didn't forget anything. In case there are any Triathletes reading this, I figured I might as well post them up here in case there is something I'm overlooking!

Equipment that I'm going to have to bring along (not including what I'm wearing):
  1. Bike.
  2. Bike Pump.
  3. Wetsuit.
  4. Helmet.
  5. Sunglasses.
  6. Swimming Goggles.
  7. Running Shoes.
  8. Cycling Shoes.
  9. Running/Cycling Socks.
  10. Shoehorn.
  11. Race Number Belt.
  12. Towels (at least three).
  13. Heart Rate Monitor.
  14. Bodyglide.
  15. Water bottles for Bike (w/Gatorade).
  16. Extra Gatorade/Water for after race.
  17. Change of clothes for after race.
The plan for the first transition is as follows:
  1. As soon as I'm out of the water, remove upper half of the wetsuit while running to the transition zone.
  2. Once top of wetsuit is off, remove goggles and swim cap.
  3. When I arrive at my bike, drop goggles/swim cap and take off the rest of the wetsuit.
  4. Quickly dry off feet with a towel and put on socks.
  5. Slip into cycling shoes.
  6. Put on sunglasses and helmet.
  7. Put on race number belt facing the back.
  8. Unrack bike and run for cycling start.
  9. On the way, switch HRM on to record remainder of the race.
And when I get back, the second transition plan is as follows:
  1. After dismounting from bike, run back to the rack.
  2. Safely rack the bike.
  3. Remove helmet.
  4. Take off cycling shoes and switch into running shoes.
  5. Rotate race number belt to the front.
  6. Head off for the run stage.
I've got some rough plans for how to lay things out, however that is going to depend a lot on exactly how much space is going to be available in the transition zone. Most of the above should be pretty straightforward, but the snag points will likely be around the wetsuit removal and footwear switches. If the transition zone is really crowded, racking and unracking the bike may be a potential problem as well. Those aren't really that bad on their own, but when under time pressure they could easily become an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment